This past weekend I convinced Todd Hart to do a little marsh exploring with me. There has been a particular area that I have been wanting to check out, but just hadn’t made the paddle yet. After looking at it on Google Earth a few times I knew it was a little over 4 miles one way just to get there and to be completely honest I wasn’t looking forward to it. My initial plan was to make a non-stop trip at daylight to ensure that there was plenty of time to fish. However, after a poling skiff buzzed the entire trail right i front of us, we decided to pull off and fish a smaller marsh pond for a few minutes.

That first stop took a little bit of searching, but eventually I was able to spot a few fish. Redfish were traveling in small pods of 8 to 10 and were moving deep into DCIM106GOPROthe flooded grass lines. Most of the pods I found early were on the protected shoreline and actively feeding. My first fish was sight casted and then after the pods broke up I switched to a popping cork to pull them out of the grass. I was able to boat three smaller reds before reverting back to my initial float plan.

Upon arrival at the final destination Todd and I split up taking opposite sides of a large back lake. On my side there were several islands that had some descent current pushing between them and so I staked out hoping the moving water would hold a few fish. After a few minutes I noticed a couple of birds hopping down the shore and pecking randomly into the water. I wasn’t sure immediately if this activity was caused by redfish, but they were moving right towards me so I just held my spot. Within a few minutes another smaller pod of redfish, similar to the morning groups, made the turn from the backside of the island. I made a quick cast with a tail and immediately hooked up. Somehow even though that pod had a few pretty large tails I ended up with a pretty skinny 22 incher.


Before I could even get the first fish back in the water I could see another school working the same island, but this time coming from the opposite direction. I took this opportunity to try to snap a few pictures. I didn’t get any great shots of actual “Tailers”, but I did get this one of the birds hopping over each other while one fish from the pod blows up on some surface bait.shoreline-school-birds

At this point in the day the fish moved from the protected shorelines to the windblown shorelines. Todd and I finished out the day throwing the Texas Two-Step (name courtesy of Dave Roberts) to a few more cruisers on the windward side of the lake. This produced a few more fish and more than a few missed opportunities.


I am not sure if any of you have seen the YouTube video “The Tunnel to Redfish Heaven”, but if you have then you will understand why Todd and I always say that we are going to find the “Tunnel”.  We didn’t find it on this trip, but we still found a pretty good place to fish that we are nicknaming “Redfish Resort”. No tunnels were involved, but it was definitely an interesting paddle.

Wind Tide Weather Baro Depth Bottom Lures
10-12 MPH Incoming w/Avg Differential Sunny Steady 1-3 ft Mixed Mud & Shell SS Jr                     Gulp & PC           DSL