Every year when basketball season rolls around I tell myself I am going to fish more. That I will find time on a Saturday afternoon or a Sunday morning during the season and I will just make it work. Well. . .that NEVER happens. Then add to the equation all of the excitement of my son being born and you have a really busy 4 months that do not include a lot of time on the water.

Yesterday morning I finally ended the hiatus and struck out to try a new body of water that has been on the list for a while. I set the alarm for 4am, snoozed to 4:07, snoozed to 4:14, snoozed to 4:21. For some reason I didn’t get any sleep the night before, I can’t imagine why?!? (If you have kids then you understand) By the time I reached my spot the wind speed was already twice the prediction and so I elected to throw out the drift sock and go to work with my topwater.

As I was drifting I began to see random mud boils floating to the surface, but other than that I could find no signs of the school. Just as I was about to pull my drift sock and paddle back to try my drift one more time I heard that distinctive CHUG sound and my Badonk-A-Donk disappeared. I could tell right away this was a big fish and so I immediately got staked out.



Teaching point: Any time I hook up with a fish I try to get staked out and I do that for two reasons. Reason number 1, I want to be able to stay in the same spot where I picked up my last fish. There may be some structure nearby that is holding fish and I do not want to lose my place. Reason number 2, if I can keep the school together by not drifting over the top of them I may have a shot at taking another fish from that very same school.

After about 5 minutes and multiple runs I see my fish go belly up about 10 feet from the boat. When I reach back to grab my net he decides to spring to life for one more run and it’s this last ditch effort that frees him from my grasp as my lure comes shooting back at the boat.

I quickly get my lure back in the water and after two cranks on the reel I was hooked up again. This fish surfaces almost immediately and is another bull red. He makes one solid run toward some exposed shell and when I tried to horse him away from it my line snapped. Before I could get retied two other kayakers who had been spectating from behind me immediately cut off my drift and I watched helplessly as the school erupted and fish scattered everywhere. I paddled around for a while hoping they would regroup, but was never able to relocate them.

Despite the frustration of losing two really good fish I had a great day on the water, found a new spot that appears to be holding some pretty large fish, and after all was said and done I got to come home to this guy. . .


Fish were located on the wind blown shore in about two foot of water and were hungry for the Bomber Lures Badonk-A-Donk HP in black, gold, & orange.

Wind Tide Weather Baro Depth Bottom Lures
SE @ 15 Outgoing w/Avg Differential Sunny Rising 1-3 ft Mixed Mud & Shell Badonkadonk Popping Cork